The lights suddenly appear too bright, the body starts shaking, and one feels as if the heart is about to burst out of the chest, leading to breathlessness. These are some of the symptoms of an anxiety attack. The terror at times can be so serious that one may feel as if he/ she is about to die.
These are nothing but anxiety attacks, episodes of intense fear or panic that usually strike abruptly without warning. Sometimes there can be an obvious trigger, such as getting stuck in an elevator, but in most of the cases, attacks happen out of the blue.
The symptoms are quite scary and in most cases, people mistake an anxiety attack for a heart attack. Though it is impossible to completely rule out the chances of such an attack, knowing the factors that often trigger it in the first place will help one manage the situation better.
Factors triggering an anxiety attack
1. Consuming certain foods: Eating food deluged with refined sugars or carbohydrates often cause spikes in insulin, resulting in an increased level of anxiety. Incorporating positive changes in lifestyle, such as consuming healthy food and including exercise in one’s daily regimen will surely lower the chances of getting anxiety attacks.
2. Worrying too much: It is good to think and strategize for the future, but people at times overthink and stress out. It does no good but only creates a flurry of negative thoughts in the mind often ending in an anxiety attack. . So it is very important to train self on how to neutralize negative thoughts. However, if you still find it difficult to manage anxiety linked to future events, take the help of a therapist or talk to your loved one.
3. Hyper-alert at all times: If one is battling anxiety, there is a greater probability that he/ she is more alert to the surroundings. Hypersensitivity is known to trigger an anxiety attack, especially if the person comes in contact with the things he/ she fears. To avoid such a scenario, it is advisable to avoid places and things that might administer fear in the first place.
4. Alone in your thoughts: Many a times, people say that anxiety attack hits out of the blue without any specific trigger. However, what they don’t realize is that the trigger could simply be something in one’s thoughts. An attack can occur even during sleep or when at home in an extremely quiet environment. Hence, when alone, pay close attention to the raw content of random thoughts.
5. Misplacing things: People tend to get anxious after they misplace an important thing. A small reason such as this is enough to take the form of an anxiety attack. The coping techniques are – removing oneself from the stressful situation, deep breathing or counting to 10 and getting some fresh air.
How to manage anxiety attack
Many people struggle with anxiety attacks as they don’t understand the underlying problems and the symptoms, and fear them instead. However, what they don’t realize is that it is very much possible to prevent such an attack from happening time and again. The most effective strategy is a combination of therapy coupled with counselling and self-help information.
Anxiety disorders are treatable with timely intervention. If you or your loved one is showing signs of anxiety, contact the Anxiety Treatment Centers of California for guidance on the best anxiety disorder treatment centers in your area. If you are looking for state-of-the-art anxiety treatment centers in California equipped with evidence-based treatments, call our 24/7 helpline (855) 972-9459 or chat online with a representative to get the details.