We have all been there. That awkward moment when we suddenly run out of words on a first date or while meeting someone for the first or second time. This can happen to anyone and there is nothing wrong about it, but going blank repeatedly could have a serious bearing on one’s personal as well as professional progress. This might be indicative of an underlying anxiety disorder, which should be addressed to ensure that the conversations do not stall and uncomfortable silences do not take over.
Here are some tips to help a person enjoy conversations without getting anxious.
- Remembering that no one is perfect – It is important to remember that life is about making progress each day and not about being perfect all the time. One does not have to come up with the best answers or conversations on all occasions. A person should try to be as natural as possible and not fret over anything as unreasonable worry can make things worse.
- Staying informed – Staying updated about what’s going around can give vital clues to start a conversation. If the other person seems interested to talk about music or is upbeat about environmental concerns, get the ball rolling.
- Being prepared in advance – Sometimes, it helps to prepare in advance. For example, if one is going on a date, one can try to find out the likes and dislikes about the person before meeting. It boosts self-confidence and lays the foundation for an interesting conversation.
- Being observant and interested – Sometimes when someone wants to break the ice with a person, it helps being observant and paying attention. One should observe the person keenly and listen to everything that he or she says so that one can participate in the conversation rather than just playing the role of a good listener.
- Learning the art of adding humor – It is easy to make out if one is anxious and stiff and these traits discourage people to approach a person. Bringing humor on the table can help relax and make the other person feel comfortable. Humor is infectious and shows that one can take things in his or her stride.
- Practicing relaxation – Before going out to a social event or a date, one must devote sometime to calm the mind and feel relaxed. One can try deep breathing, listening to some soothing music and practicing meditation.
- Taking support – At times, even after trying self-help strategies some people can’t control their anxiety. In such a scenario, it is indispensable to seek professional help before the anxiety symptoms exacerbate and start affecting one’s quality of life.
Road to recovery
Conversations can be mastered with time and practice. It is okay to feel jittery before meeting a new person or starting an interesting dialogue however, it is important not to worry excessively. If the negative feelings return every time, maybe it is about time that one seeks professional help.
If you or your loved one suffers from anxiety, contact the Anxiety Treatment Centers of California representatives for guidance on the best anxiety disorders treatment centers in California that offer customized intervention plans for long-lasting recovery. If you are looking for state-of-the-art anxiety treatment centers in California equipped with evidence-based therapies, call our 24/7 helpline (855) 972-9459 or chat online with an expert.