Ask anyone why they’ve ever feel anxious and you’ll get as many answers as there are people. Money’s tight. Career’s going wrong. My kids don’t talk to me anymore. Traffic’s always bad. My glass is half empty.
Stress stinks. But a certain level of tension in life is normal. Things happen; challenges and difficulties come up and sometimes this happens more often than we’d like. Stress isn’t always bad; it may be surprising to hear that tension can actually help us from time to time by teaching us how to adapt to new challenges, how to accept new environments and how to handle and avoid threatening and potentially dangerous situations. Read more
Four years of drought in California just hasn’t shrunk reservoirs, made lawns turn brown and planted a nugget of fear in every Californian’s brain. The persistent dry conditions have also caused major wildfires that have displaced around 23,000 Californians from their homes in the north of the state.
Get up early after a poor night’s sleep. Fight traffic during a 45-minute commute to work. Log on to find an overflowing inbox and a full calendar of meetings and deadlines. Skip lunch to make a dent in the paperwork. The supervisor announces that due to cutbacks the office is going to have to do more with less. Stay late to make sure it all gets done. Realize that it’s Monday, and there’s four more days of this routine. Sound familiar? This is work stress.
“Shyness is nice, and shyness can stop you / from doing all the things in life that you’d like to,” sang The Smiths. Most people have experienced situations in their life that were awkward and uncomfortable. But there’s a difference between that momentary social discomfort before giving a big presentation or going on a date, and the mental and physical symptoms of social anxiety disorder.
- Most recommended books on anxiety – Part 4December 7, 2016 - 9:58 pm
- Spending more time on social media ups anxiety and depression...February 23, 2017 - 5:54 pm
- 3 simple ways to get relief from short-term anxietyFebruary 28, 2017 - 6:36 pm
- Attachment anxieties in early years can strain relation...March 7, 2017 - 7:19 pm
- New anxiety medications in development – Part 1: ...March 10, 2017 - 6:52 pm
- Understanding factors behind anxiety attackMay 21, 2018 - 11:08 pm
- Selena Gomez opens up about her battle with depressionApril 25, 2018 - 7:38 pm
- Here’s how breathing techniques, visits to gym helped...April 10, 2018 - 8:22 pm
- Way social media backlashes usersMarch 29, 2018 - 8:57 pm
- How to overcome depression betterMarch 9, 2018 - 11:47 pm